Wednesday, October 28, 2009

INDIA: Stray Cows and a Monkey in Transit

In the Philippines, we have lots of stray dogs. In India, they have stray cows. 

You will literally see cows scattered all over the road. Some are just sitting under the shade, cooling off from the searing heat. Others are at the garbage heap searching for lunch. Generally these bovine gods are slow and dormant, but occasionally they can get violent. A French backpacker I met got rammed by those mighty horns while crossing a narrow street. The cows freely roam anywhere and it made me wonder if anyone owned them.


Main intersection in Udaipur



Illegal Parking



Bakery?



Dung Cakes 
(a.k.a. Pastries)



Love me or leave me!

According to one Indian I asked, cows are on the streets because their owners have abandoned them. The cows are taken cared of as pets because of their divine stature in Indian society. However, when the cow stops producing milk, the owner ditches them to fend for themselves. Another Indian said that these allegedly stray cows do have owners. The cows spend the day grazing with their "friends" and then come home for supper. Come to think of, yeah, I never saw a cow walking around at night.

In other news in the animal kingdom, I thought I was dreaming when I saw a full-grown monkey riding behind a bicycle. Apparently, the campus dorm I was staying in was surrounded by small monkeys. To keep the primates away, the school officials "hired" an alpha male monkey to guard the dormitory. He's tied to a huge tree in the dorm lawn and has kept the hall monkey-free. I guess he's having a day off?


Tightrope?



"My tail is itchy." -Monkey



Cool kids sit at the back of the bike



CAUTION: Monkey Crossing 



Graveyard Shift


No comments:

Post a Comment