Friday, October 23, 2009

INDIA: Camel Safari in Jaisalmer

That night I slept on bed made of sand
with my backpack for a pillow
and the starry night sky as my blanket.



For 550 rupees a day, you can go on a camel safari in Jaisalmer. That includes the camel ride, food and water (don't expect too much and better bring your own), and a bonfire. One night is enough, actually. After a few hours of camel riding, your groin and rear will begin to hurt, especially when the camel starts galloping. The Thar Desert didn't look like a desert at all. There were desert plants, clay houses and wind farms all over.



At the end of the day's camel trek, sitting on the sand dunes while watching the sun set made the entire bumpy ordeal worth it.
The wind was strong all day long and I soon found sand in my ear, inside my shirt and even in the places where the sun don't shine. I had to cover my face lest the sand in the wind would prick my cheeks.


I was on my camel when it started sniffing as if there was something inside its nostril that was bothering it. Next thing I knew, its neck arched back and it vigorously rubbed its nose on my knee. It left slobber all over my pants. All in a day's work I guess?


In the middle of the nowhere, nature called on me. After dropping the bomb, lo and behold, a dung beetle immediately appeared to steal my goods. They're all yours, buddy (No photos for this one). Our pack was composed of a bunch of French medicine students and two Koreans making their way from India to Tibet (not in the photo).



The camel safari is definitely a must-try experience if you're in Rajasthan. Aside from Jaisalmer, there are other cities where you can join one. A word of caution though. My butt and back hurt and I had an upset stomach the following day. After returning to town, the cold shower in the hotel felt heavenly. I can't imagine how the others managed to do it for a whole week! According to our guide, the longest trip he had was for 21 days with two Italian women.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your nice blog and also blog images, I read your blog and known about Rajasthan Tour, Camel Safari Rajasthan and etc… If any body want to know more information about this then please visit Rajasthan Tour and Camel Safari Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a nice blog.
    India being a vast country has plenty offer the eager traveler. In fact there are so many tourist places in India that they cater to almost any holiday type. You can choose from a variety of themes ranging from wildlife, to beaches, adventure, heritage and leisure. To know more click on :- India Holidays

    ReplyDelete