Wednesday, October 28, 2009

INDIA: Monuments

Today, let me take you to two monuments in New Delhi. The first is called Qutb Minar, a minaret (tower) that showcases Indo-Islamic architecture. Around this tower is a small dainty park where families go for a picnic or an afternoon stroll. There are also some old Hindu temples and ruins which made up the whole complex.


Lazy Sunday afternoon


Columns and ruins


Around the tower



Ruins

My guide told me that the tower gradually become thinner towards the top. The base is 14.3 meters wide while the top is 2.75 meters wide only. The tower is also divided into five levels and at each level the design changes. Notice how at one level the design is shaped like a cube while in another level the design is round. He said that, because of that design, if you look at the tower from above, it's actually shaped like a lotus flower, India's national flower.


See the shapes in each level?


Hand-carved designs 
on the gate wall



Qutb Minar

In the complex, I entered one temple and saw an old lady crouched on the floor. Seeing that I was a lone traveler, she offered to take my photo for me inside that temple. Once I gave her my camera, she suddenly became bossy and strict. She ordered me to pose in front of an undecorated wall. Then she forcefully made me sit on top of a tomb-like stone block. I thanked her for her kindness and asked for my camera back but she stepped back and insisted she takes another photo of me and the stone block, but now from another angle. I forced a smile to conceal my irritation; she was wasting my time. Finally she gave my camera back, stretched her hand to ask for a small fee. Now that was totally subtle! Don't you just love unrequested service?


Take one!



The other angle 
(Wow, it looks so different!)


The other monument is called the India Gate. It's one of my favorite spots in the madness of New Delhi. The monument is located in a huge park with wide gardens perfect for lounging around with friends or family. It's actually a war memorial and India's national monument. It was built for the Indian soldiers who fought for the British Army in WW 1. The name of the valiant heroes are inscribed on the walls of the gate.


Street scene before the monument


India Gate


Heroes' names inscribed on the wall


As the sun set, more and more people came. Families taking an evening stroll, lovers stealing a moment to hold hands before another day of work, and groups friends cracking foolish jokes on one another filled the park as night drew on. The gate was majestic and picturesque especially with the klieg lights beaming from below. It looked like a star had fallen from the heavens and landed in the middle of a park.





Silhouette





Beauty

It looks like the Arc de Triomphe on Champs Elysee, doesn't it? I've never been there though. The India Gate is lit up every night so make sure to visit when you're in town. To enter is totally free. There are hundreds of vendors that sell ice cream, Indian snacks and flying toys all over the place. The best time to go is during sunset so you can see the monument transform. Bring someone with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment