Monday, October 26, 2009

INDIA: Public Display of Affection

I was walking down Chawri Bazaar one day when I saw two youngsters holding hands while walking. Initially, I was surprised and I instinctively took photos of them. This wasn't the first time for me to see man-to-man action in India but this is the first that I was able to document it. See for yourself.


The Subjects



I tried to get closer



Wop, there's another one!



I think I was too obvious

Upon asking my Indian friends what that was all about, I learned that that's just really how some Indian boys show affection to their comrades. It's actually very rare to see boy-and-girl holding hands because of the relatively conservative social norms but boy-and-boy is acceptable. I have also seen grown up men (about 40 years old) holding hands and swaying them while walking. And, in a separate instance, I saw two men resting their whole arm over the other's shoulder while looking each other eye-to-eye. There's totally nothing homosexual in holding hands; that's just how they do it on that side of the world.

1 comment: